It's our business birthday and we're celebrating thirteen (yep, thirteen!) years since the birth of High Maintenance Jewellery!
The support and belief for High Maintenance Jewellery is something that I hold very close to my heart.
For you to work with my business is undoubtedly one of respect and trust, and I have so much warmth from your loyalty and encouragement.
Having established my business in 2009 (whilst still working within a full-time role at The University of Hull Business School), I had an urge to create unique jewellery pieces at an affordable price.
As a child I would visit the most magical supply shop at the coastal town of Whitby with my family, and that was my holiday treat! I would then create a diverse selection of beaded drop earrings with screw-back fastening, (due to not yet having my ears pierced!) and I would honestly be in my element. These happy memories created a vision and a hunger to embark upon.
Taking a pause (in 2011 and 20113) after setting up MY-HMJ, I was fortunate to become a Mummy to two beautiful, healthy babies. It was such a positive experience for me to embrace, and I do feel that this endured me to then refocus and push MY-HMJ further to its potential.
The past thirteen years for MY-HMJ has been absolutely amazing - here’s just some of the highlights:-
* holding hundreds of seasonal pop-up shops throughout the region.
* creating and showcasing three individual empowering jewellery collections at London Accessory Week.
* being interviewed and featured for three consecutive years in the London Accessory Week shopping guide, The Circle.
* holding thousands of jewellery consultations in person with such enjoyable clients, opening up their hearts, their visions, and their stories to me.
* providing our creative development workshops for groups within The Teenage Cancer Trust, Home from Hospital, and MacMillan charities.
* working closely with clients and building a personal relationship whilst designing and creating their bespoke jewellery pieces.
* sponsoring a player at ETC Hull City Ladies Youth Academy.
* being invited to The University of Hull to talk with undergraduate business school students on my own business journey.
* continuing to research and update our jewellery designs, knowledge and skills.
* learning and updating with technology, keeping our HMJ website and online store up to date, plus personally composing and distributing our weekly HMJ newsletters.
* providing for the seventh year our forget-me-not pendants for the NHS Women’s and Children’s hospital (EPAU and Cedar Ward).
* working closely with local youth centres, local charities, and high schools on creative development, design skills, mental health, and wellbeing.
* teaching at hundreds of jewellery workshops - watching beautiful pieces of jewellery be created, and people’s confidence grow.
* meeting so many fabulous creative children and being so fortunate to teach jewellery design at their birthday parties!
* sponsoring for three consecutive years a local girls football team.
* collaborating and stocking our jewellery pieces with such a fantastic range of local businesses.
* designing, creating and producing keepsake pendants in partnerships with local businesses.
* meeting many wonderful people in person and building great relationships.
* participating at numerous organised styled wedding photo shoots, with brilliant professionals and suppliers.
* completing numerous development courses focussing on entrepreneurship, marketing, logistics, design, child development, health & safety, customer care, and public speaking.
The past thirteen years have taught me so much. How to grow in confidence, in creativity, in skills, and in knowledge.
Sustaining a business has further taught me how I can wear numerous 'hats' and succeed as a Business Owner, a Jewellery Designer, a Creative Director and also as a Mummy.
I'm honestly living my dream role and I'm proud to inject a unique flavour into every aspect here at MY-HMJ.
It is a privilege and honour for our designs to be an effective influence upon your own jewellery style.
Thank you to everyone for constantly helping my range of work expand, for your custom, for your encouragement and for your loyal support.
I am so grateful to have you on this creative and colourful journey alongside me.